I have been ask this question over and over again and have answered it in so many different ways that I decided to sit down and write up the most important traits I think a entrepreneur has. Fist of all lets define What is an Entrepreneur?
Dictionary.com defines it as:
1. Inspiration: A entrepreneur has to be a self promoter, must have the ability to reach people and motivate them to help their cause. Must be a self starter who gets up every day with the inspiration to get better and strive for success.
2. Positive Attitude: A positive attitude goes hand in hand with inspiration, the entrepreneur must treat every situation with a positive attitude always looking for the upside even when things are not going the way they want. To get past the ups and downs of starting a business you must have that positive outlook, don’t look at what is, but what it can be.
3. Accept Risk: This one is key, if you don’t have the backbone to lose it all, then stay out of the arena of starting a business. A successful entrepreneur must know that they will succeed and the risk is just part of the overall goal towards the successful development of a new business. Higher Risk=bigger reward!
4. Hard-work Ethic: A entrepreneur must have that strong work ethic, they cannot be a clock watcher, when starting a business the days never ends you must put in the hours it takes to build the business. That could be 12-18 hour days, a new business success starts with the owner putting in that extra effort and time it takes to reach their goals. When the job needs to get done you must be willing to do the dirty work and get the job done.
5. Detailed Orientated: Every successful business owner I know has this trait, they are detailed in everything they do. They keep written goals and tasks to accomplish everything that must be done when starting that new business. Anyone can start a business, but to keep it running and making a profit you have to have a detailed plan of action and the organizational skills to perform that plan to completion.
6. Competitiveness: Every great entrepreneur has that competitive spirit, they need to strive to win, they have that burning desire for success and accomplishment of creating something new. They know that getting knock down doesn’t mean its over they learn from their mistakes and continue on towards their end-game.
7. Resiliency: There is going to be some tough times when starting a new business, there will be days when it looks as if all is lost and you cant continue on. A true entrepreneur knows at this time you must press on towards the end-game. A successful entrepreneur never quits, they have a move forward attitude that brings them past the tough times. They know in their heart that they will succeed if they don’t quit.
A entrepreneur may not get it right the first time or even after several tries, what they do know is they have the ability to make it work and it only takes being right one time that will lead them to their greatest success story. An entrepreneur is one that can take the hits, lose everything and get up the next day and begin over working towards that success that makes them tick!
Your comments are welcome – Should you have a question, problem or concern Please ask I’m here to help. Post any topic you would like to see more information on. Have a great day! Coach “P”